The Bungalow Kitchen

I just got my kitchen clean so I thought I better capture it before a tornado hits again! For some reason, my kitchen is the catch all for my kid's papers, backpacks, shoes, etc. We even have a mudroom that they have to pass to get to the kitchen and it all ends up here! When my kitchen is clean, I love it. It has obviously been updated but the charming built-ins were left and they add so much character to the room. Because houses of this era have a closed floor plan, I can't get just one big picture of the room. 

This picture is looking from the back of the kitchen. Both of the mossy colored cabinets are original to the home. To have built-ins like this now would be considered an "extra" and would cost you extra. I love old homes because it was common to have these included.


This is the china cabinet that you can see in the left corner in the picture above. My grandma gave me the china that she got in the 1960's. She said that when she did her grocery shopping, she earned points and could redeem them for gifts and this is what she chose. I love the story behind this set and will treasure it forever because it came from my grandma.


This is the other cabinet on the right side. There's nothing special about it but I think it's really pretty. Behind the doors is an unorganized collection of plates, bowls, and cups. If you can't see the chaos, it's like it doesn't even exist, right?!


This view is looking in from the living room. With the updated cupboards, we have quite a bit of storage space. That cute, little, white door that is closed is a spice cabinet. It's just deep enough to fit spice jars and has enough shelving to fit about 200 of them. I don't know that I'll ever be that savvy of a chef to accumulate that but it's cute to look at.


If I have too many things on my counter, I get a little crazy. I can't even keep my toaster out. I was excited when I saw this open shelving because I can have cute kitchen decor and not feel like I have a cluttered mess. My very favorite thing on there is the blue Ball Mason jar. My friend gave it to me a few years ago and it dates back to 1910. I filled it with fake cherries that I got from Tai Pan trading and put a galvanized lid on it. I have a friend who is 85 and I told her that I love antique things. She pulled out the Yuban coffee can and told me I could have it! It's all rusted out on the bottom just how I would like it.


The only sad thing about this kitchen is that nothing gourmet ever happens in it! If you've ever seen the saying "this kitchen was made to dance in", it pretty much sums this right up. I used to hardly cook at all. It just isn't something that I have loved doing. But Chance and I realized how expensive it was to eat out all the time, not to mention it's not healthy. So we resolved to cook more. So it does happen almost every weeknight now. But it's seriously easy, boring, nothin' to write home about- meals. If you love to cook, or heck, even like to cook, please help me!!! 

Sorry to get off subject. If you have made it this far and you're still reading, you deserve a treat! Just don't expect it to be homemade, ha!  I hope you all have the best night ever.

-The Red Brick Blondie











































1 comment

  1. Ok, so I love this post too...and all of them,really! I think this kitchen was made for me because I DO love to cook and your built-ins and spice cabinet are envy worthy.

    ReplyDelete