Anniversary part 2- our love story

Chance and I were set up on a blind date by my cousin, Ashley and Chance's best friend, Dusty. I was 17 and a junior in high school and Chance was 18 and a freshman in college. Our first date was a double date with Ashley and Dusty, thank goodness because Chance and I were painfully shy. I honestly think we said 20 words to each other on the entire date. Although I thought he was so cute, I didn't think we would ever go out again because we were too shy. To my surprise, he text me two days later and we broke the ice over text for a few days. Then he asked me out again for that weekend and we doubled again. We talked a lot more on that date and I knew I really liked him. Chance took things nice and slow. He didn't hug me til our third date, hold my hand til our fourth, and didn't kiss me til our thirteenth. I didn't think that kiss was ever going to be had. But you know they say, good things come to those who wait!

Even though we were so young, we both knew there was something different about our relationship and knew pretty quick into it that we would get married someday. When we had been dating for six months, Chance left to Nauvoo, Illinois on an LDS service mission. He played the drums in the Nauvoo Brass Band and did various service projects for the church. He was gone for four months and we weren't allowed to talk at all during that time besides writing letters back and forth. When I graduated from high school, I moved two hours south of where we live and did a semester at Snow College. It didn't strike my fancy so I moved back. A year later, I moved to northern California to nanny for the most amazing family. Chance and I continued to date during all of this and when I came home for Christmas, we got engaged. I went back and nannied for two more months and then moved home and we were married March 21, 2008.

Since getting married, we have had 8 years of crazy adventures together! We welcomed our first baby girl, Marley in August of 2008. If you do the math, yes, I was pregnant when we got married! We were sealed in the Temple on our one year anniversary. In October of 2010, we had our second baby, a little boy named Diesel. I get tired just thinking about all of that happening in two years! Fast forward to January 2015 when we had our third baby, a cute little girl named Scout. We have lived in an apartment, two townhouses, and now, our little bungalow. Chance has gone to EMT school, I have gone to nail technician school, and am now in cosmetology school.

Like I said yesterday, life has definitely thrown us some curveballs. I am still wondering why nobody warned me how hard it would all be at times, ha! Chance has type 1 (juvenile) diabetes and even though he takes excellent care of himself, it is always something we have to worry about. When I am pregnant, I throw up violently all day, everyday until I have those babies. That definitely takes a toll on me as well as our marriage physically and emotionally. We were without health insurance for the first 6 years of marriage and we got thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in medical debt. It was really scary at times and that definitely took it's toll on us. Just like every marriage, we have had a number of other things that we never expected to happen and we have had our ups and downs. There have been times that I have wanted to quit. There have been times that I have wondered why we ever got married in the first place. And there have been times that I think we both have wanted to kill each other!

To say that marriage is hard is an understatement. I don't think there has been or will ever be anything that I will have to work at as much as this. But when they say that the hard things in life are the most worth it, it couldn't be more true. With all of the trials that we have endured, I don't think there is anything that could tear us apart. If we hadn't gone through these things together, we wouldn't have the love for each other that we have now. When we became parents, my love for Chance grew a million times. He is such a good dad to our kids. When he gets home from work, he helps with homework, gives them baths, helps with dinner, cleans, etc. He is so hands-on and I am so lucky to have that. Chance works so hard to provide for our family and always puts us before himself. He is hands down the most talented person I have ever met. If he doesn't know how to do something, he can learn it and learn it well. He makes me want to be the best version of myself. If I am having a bad day, he always knows exactly how to cheer me up. When I'm having anxiety, he knows how to calm me down. If I think I'm chubby, he tells me I'm pretty! I can't think of anyone else that I would rather spend this crazy adventure with. He is my person and I love him. Thanks for the amazing 8 years babe. Here's to many more to come!











The Red Brick Blondie

No comments