My Barbershop Job Shadow

The 1880's to 1940's were the golden age for barbershops. During this time, barbershops were classy places that men visited weekly and even sometimes daily (think face shaves). In 1904, Gillette began mass marketing the safety razor and the barbershops took their first hit. Then the depression came and mother's would cut their son's hair at home to save money. In the 1980's a new trend, the unisex salon came around and barbershops were almost non-existent.

But, the barbershop is making a HUGE comeback right now and it is awesome. We have been learning barbering in school and I even got to do my first straight-razor shave last week. I only nicked my brother a few times, ha. Although I do want to work in a full-service salon when I'm done with school, I really want to emphasize on barbering.

My husband has a friend named Raleigh who owns a barbershop in Kaysville. When Raleigh graduated from high school, he was trying to figure out what he was going to do. His dad saw an ad in the newspaper for a barbering school and suggested he do it. Raleigh graduated from barbering school and worked at a couple salons and then went to a barbershop. He eventually bought the barbershop and has been there ever since. Raleigh is also the chair for the board of cosmetology at the OWATC which is a huge accomplishment. I went and job shadowed him yesterday and it was so fun. I learned so much and have a list of new barbering supplies I think I now need! Here is Raleigh working his magic on a handsome young lad-



And here I am doing my first straight-razor shave on my brother. He's a brave soul!



I'm so glad I got to have this experience to further my education and I can't wait to refine my barbering skills.

-The Red Brick Blondie

1 comment

  1. That's actually really cool and interesting, Kim! It was fun to read the history of barbering. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete