Mother's Day Series: Kim and Jude

Hey everyone, if you're from my neck of the woods, I really hope your house hasn't blown away! We still have crazy, scary winds and have been out of power for hours! If you're not from my neck of the woods, be grateful!

I am so excited that May has arrived because I have been planning this for months. I am going to be doing a Mother's Days series here on my blog. I have asked some awesome mamas to guest post about their experience of motherhood and I know that it's going to be so great!

The first person I asked is a really good friend of mine, Kim Garrett. Her and I met four years ago when we were working as cashiers at the hospital and we just hit it off from the beginning. I cannot tell you how amazing of a person she is. I look up to her more than she will ever know. Here is her story of becoming a mom:

"One of my biggest dreams after getting married was becoming a mother.  As much as Tucker and I tried, it seemed that it wasn't meant to be.  With waiting for a year to finally get pregnant but then 2 miscarriages to follow, it seemed it would never come.

Finally one day I knew- I knew I was pregnant, and I knew this one was ok.  I had a lot of time to think about what motherhood was going to be.  

On September 10, 2015 it finally happened.  I became a mother.  I had dreamed of this moment for almost 3 years.  Jude Konrad Garrett was born, but the moment that followed wasn't what I had been imagining. From the moment he was born we could tell something wasn't quite "normal" even though we hadn't been told yet- the medical staff had left the room to talk.  Finally my doctor peaked her head back in the room and asked if she could talk to us.  We said yes, and with wide eyes she put her hand on my shoulder and said "We think your kiddo has Down syndrome."  

From that time my idea of motherhood was never the same.  

I was told by all sorts of people what it was going to be like to be the mom if a child with Down syndrome. Most are not true.  With Jude- like with ANY other child- he doesn't fit a mold or stereotype.  He's just Jude, like I am just Kim and you are just you.

As Jude's mom I am a cheerleader.  Jude and I get to work on lots of things to help his development, and the best feeling ever is when he does it!  It makes my mamma heart so proud!  We love to celebrate.

I am a singer.  Jude loves to scream- I mean sing! Nothing brings a bigger smile to that boys face than singing songs and dancing. We could sing and laugh for ever.

I am a caregiver. I don't know Jude's future- just like any mother doesn't know her child's future.  I very well could be Jude's care taker for the rest of his life.  I had to come to terms with that thought and possibility.  This doesn't mean Jude won't get married or be independent!  It's actually very possible that he could- many adults with Down syndrome get married and become independent.  I just have to keep that thought in my mind.

I am an advocate.  Some people like to think they know everything there is to know about Jude just because they know he has Down syndrome.  I get to remind them of all the amazing things he can do.  I've been told that Jude was going to fail to thrive, that he can't jump in his jumper, he isn't going to roll over, etc.  I then take that information and decide for Jude and our family what's best.  (We usually choose to not follow their advice 😉.)

When Jude was born I had to change my idea of motherhood.  But wouldn't you say every mother does?  

Being a mother of Jude there have been a lot more tears, worries, and bills than I thought possible.  Sometimes I sit and hold him and cry.  I cry because of the life I'm not sure I can offer him.  I cry because I worry I'm not being the mom he needs to succeed.  

Sometimes I sit and hold him and cry because he makes me so indescribably happy.  Being a mama is a lot of things: cheerleader, advocate, singer, and caregiver.  But the most important thing about being a mama is the love and happiness between a mom and her child".






No comments